GROWTH GRANT APPLICATION – TOKENGATING ON E-COMMERCE STORES – FUNDING TIER 2

TERMS OF USE

I have read and understand the CONFLUX ECOSYSTEM GRANTS OVERVIEW, and determined that my proposal is best for the Growth Grants stream

• YES

I understand that the Conflux Growth Grants are subject to a No Sale Rule, and I have read the terms of this rule

• YES

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Conflux Foundation to receive this grant

• YES

I understand that I will be required to follow public grant reporting requirements

• YES

APPLICATION INTRODUCTION

In this section, please provide a brief overview of your project providing the following information.

Name of your project: Shopify Tokengating App
Are you an incorporated startup? 11997947 Canada Corporation

Links to the project’s webpage, DApp, project social handles, and chat groups.

• We do not have any of that setup yet

What is your Conflux eSpace recipient wallet address for the grant?

• 0x8DabF51501196a7700c97616bD82791cF31Ac685

TEAM

Name:

• Tony Lau

Roles and responsibilities

• I plan to work on developing the App from the ground-up (full-stack). After approval on the Shopify App platform, I plan on growing the App installs with merchants and marketing the App to merchants.
  • Once there is sufficient velocity, I plan to add additional features that merchants can subscribe to so that the App can re-invest and develop even more cool features and ensure users always are gas-free

Team member’s social media handle(s)

Relevant experience

• I am an active member of the Conflux Community, and I really like the blockchain. I am invested in growing Conflux and would continue investing into the App and growing the use cases and adoption even after this project grant
  • I completed the Conflux Developer Workshop in July 2023 and would like to leverage the skills learned towards building an App that can help merchants build customer loyalty and differentiated e-commerce experiences
  • I recently completed an intensive Software Engineering Bootcamp in Toronto at Brainstation. With the supportive network of alumni resources and classmates, I am confident that the result will be a polished product that can be approved by Shopify
  • I recently worked at Shopify in the finance department and I am comfortable with liasoning with the Shopify development teams in getting the app approved. I am registered to take additional blockchain software development courses in the evening at George Brown and continue investing in my skillset in Blockchain/Web Development.
  • I have operated an e-commerce store on the Shopify platform selling meat (from farm to door) and was a merchant myself. I am aware of merchant needs and what would be helpful for growing a business on e-commerce.
  • I have more than 10+ years in corporate development and finance experience. I completed a BBA, Master’s of Finance and a Master’s of Law. I am confident I can grow this business. I have conviction in the opportunities in building new products using blockchain and would like to use the conflux blockchain to improve e-commerce for merchants

TOTAL BUDGET AND FUNDING TIER

In this section specify the budget needed for the project and your funding Tier.

Grant Tier: Tier 2
Grant Size: $15k USD

Justification:

• I will be working full-time during the day on developing this App and I anticipate it will take me 3 months
  • I will be setting aside a portion of the $15k USD for sponsorship of gas fees.
  • $11,000 of the $15,000 would be dependent on third-party approval (i.e. Shopify approval of the App and installs on the app)
  • I also intend to hire developers to help me on this project once it recieves Shopify approval of the App platform so that the company can continue to grow

PROJECT INFORMATION

Overview:

Customer loyalty is extremely valuable. It can improve repeat orders, order conversion, increase average order value, etc. There are many forms of loyalty that exists today - from cashback, coupons, VIP membership, exclusive “company” cash, air miles, points for redemption, etc.

I believe there is a use case for the conflux blockchain and e-commerce. This app will look to cater to Shopify merchants. Shopify has over 2 million merchants selling on the platform. In 2022, Shopify processed $197.2 billion in GMV (“Gross Merchandise Volume”) which represents the total dollar value of orders facilitated through the Shopify platform.

The first use case we plan to implement is using NFTS that provide a unique experience for NFT holders. The first form of unique experience is:

• The App would allow NFT holders to have gas-free transactions and get exclusive benefits on the particular merchant store. The exclusive benefits planned for the initial product will be in the form of discounts (%) and ($). In the future, there should be a lot more ways to bring tailored experiences to users by merchant (i.e. exclusive product drops, pre-sale access, etc.).
  • The second is the ability for Merchants to grow their business by partnering with content creators (i.e. influencers, twitch users, etc.) and allowing these content creators to mint NFTS (at no price to avoid fraud and gas-free to their community). By minting the NFTS, they can be directed to the merchant store where the NFTS are recognized. This form of engagement is much better than a discount code because the website on the e-commerce store can specifically recognize the community you are part of and the discount that is available upon check-out. The personalization that is available for recognizing a user should increase order conversion and lower cost of acquisition of new users.

User Base:

• Currently no merchants have installed app. The App is not yet built

Market:

• There are currently only ~13 NFT apps on the Shopify Developer store. The competing protocols are Polygon, Avalanche, etc. I believe there represents an opportunity to develop a NFT app using the Conflux network and capture adoption through gas sponsorship, and showcasing great use-cases between influencers/content-creators with e-commerce stores. E-commerce stores on Shopify are unlike large marketplaces like Amazon - they must acquire traffic natively to their website and the ability to do so through NFTs to generate orders will be seen as extremely valuable.

Technology:

• I plan to use Conflux E-Space, Solidity, React, Javascript, Express/Node, and Ruby

Traction:

• Currently in pre-revenue stage and just in planning stage.

Stage of the project:

• Pre-revenue

Security: Please link to any code audits

• None at the moment

ECOSYSTEM FIT

Benefit to Conflux Ecosystem:

As the App gains adoption as an e-commerce tool, Conflux blockchain will be the underlying technology used to mint NFTs and to facilitate commerce. There is a lot of commerce being done on Shopify platforms and Conflux would have market share on facilitating some of that commerce. Although in the beginning, we are using only the NFTs for recognizing who are the owners of the NFT for exclusive perks, I can see a lot of innovation that can come with working on an App that is tailored for smaller e-commerce businesses on Shopify platform. By first establishing a toe-hold and gaining trust with merchants, we can begin to introduce future products using blockchain technology on the Conflux Network (i.e. NFTs that contain product data)

GROWTH PROPOSAL

Grant Plan:

• I plan to first develop the App, get it approved on Shopify App store and then market it to merchants and influencers.

Users Acquisition:

• I plan to build case studies and demonstrate how it improves KPIs

Proposal OKRs:

• 200 merchant installs in 1 year
  • 2,000 merchant installs in 2 years
  • Build several case studies of successful partnership between an e-commerce store and content creator within 6 months of launch

ROADMAP

This section describes the milestones and distribution plan for your grant:

• End of 1st month (Functional Front-End for Merchants that links a Shopify Store to a NFT Contract that is deployed on Conflux. To be developed in Shopify Developer Environment. On check-out page, a buyer on the website that owns the NFT should see the discount and be recognized as part of the specific community which owns the NFT through a badge) - $2,000
  • End of 2nd month (Functional Front-End for Influencers/Content Creators to create a NFT Contract. They are able to mint it to their community) - $2,000
  • 3rd month (Acceptance into Shopify Developer Store) - $8,000. Of this amount $2,000 will be set aside for sponsoring future gas fees.
  • Merchant Installs - $3,000 (When 200 merchant installs are made)

MAINTENANCE CONSIDERATIONS

The plan is to monetize the App by adding features above the token-gating features above. The added features subscribed by Merchants will allow the app to continue re-investing itself for more cool blockchain features and also ensuring that users always have a gas-free experience.

Thanks! Welcome any questions

3 Likes

Thank you for your application. Here are few questions:

1. Are you planning to hire developers for the first version of the app? How many if yes?
  2. What is your experience in building blockchain applications? Have you worked with smart contracts before?
  3. Can you provide high level technical architecture for this app based on the technology stack you have mentioned?
  4. Can you provide few workflows for the features that might be covered in the app?
  5. What are the steps involved for Shopify app approval? Should we expect any blockers?

Hi Tony, thanks for this application! I think your proposal should be split up into two grants.

The first a Technical Grant for:

A- Functional Front-End for Merchants that links a Shopify Store to a NFT Contract that is deployed on Conflux
B - Functional Front-End for Influencers/Content Creators to create a NFT Contract. They are able to mint it to their community
C -User Documentation, and a tutorial on how to build a Shopify app on Conflux e-Space (bonus on tips on how to get it approved!)

The second a Growth Grant - to help grow your user base for after the Technical Grant has been completed and the App has been added to the Shopify App- Store.

2 Likes

Re: Nelaturuk

Hi there!

Thanks for your questions and comments.

1. No I don’t plan on hiring developers for the first version - I intend to hire developers to take the app to the next level only once I start generating some revenue or if I encounter significant roadblocks. One of the ways to generate revenue (before charging subscription to merchants for value-added services), is to actually be a merchant (which I have experience) and sell goods in an e-commerce store and prove the use case out. I plan on creating a Shopify store that has my Tokengating App installed so that I can demonstrate to other merchants that there is value-add. I am happy to have this as a milestone as I see this as providing some early capital/cash-flow to re-invest into further development of the App.

2. I have worked with smart contracts before. I have worked on compiling/deploying various types of standardized Open Zepplin / audited smart contracts (ERC20, ERC1155, etc.) before and have experience reading/writing into contracts that are deployed. While I do not envision modifying the contracts in the first version of the app, I have modified solidity contracts before for Hackathons for added functionality. My experience in building blockchain applications is still introductory - but I think once the contracts are initialized, calling the functions are similar to many APIs in traditional software engineering. I am also continually investing in education and have a good support system / resources available to make this product a go.

3 and 4. The back-end for merchants will be on Node.js express app. It lists products that qualify for tokengating, the discounts, and the blockchain contract that would apply to these products. The front-end is a React App with a form that will allow a merchant to configure those specifications.

The app will be linked to Shopify stores through an extension that will be linked the product card. These extensions use Ruby/Shopify liquid blocks to render a specialized block that allows buyers to connect to their wallet, and be specifically recognized for the NFT community they are in that are eligible for discounts to be applied.

The content creator side is also intended to be a React App. I intend to use the front-end to interact with

• existing NFT communities that can look to provide utility to their community (i.e. upload your contract address and find merchants with tokengate installed) and match with merchants to offer exclusive discounts
  • new creators can be provided instructions/be facilitated to create new NFT contracts to their community so that they can partner with e-commerce merchants.

The back-end is envisioned to store merchants with App installed that are looking for partnership opportunities, and various NFT communities and their NFT contract addresses, # of owners, etc.

1. A lot of the steps involved for Shopify app approval are quality related. For example, any orders that contain line items which are either added or discounted as a result of a buyer successfully passing a gate-check must be identified using order metafields. Any products that contain one or more gated variants must be identified using product metafields. Additionally, there are quality requirements on how widgets/blocks interact with themes, and instructions to merchants on how to install and use app are required.

For this tokengating app, there are also special requirements (indemnification, intake form, etc.) to get approval.

Having previously worked at Shopify, I am happy to navigate the Shopify Developer communities, work with Shopify support and ensure the app meets the standards necessary to gain approval. I am confident with the requirements needed and I don’t expect there to be any blockers based on my research. If any blockers arise, I am pretty determined to seek the expertise required to tackle the blockers, and/or flag it immediately to the committee.

1 Like

Hey Geoff,

That makes sense. The revised proposal will be for a technical grant for the following:

• End of 1st month (Functional Front-End for Merchants that links a Shopify Store to a NFT Contract that is deployed on Conflux. To be developed in Shopify Developer Environment. On check-out page, a buyer on the website that owns the NFT should see the discount and be recognized as part of the specific community which owns the NFT through a badge) - $2,000

• End of 2nd month (Functional Front-End for Merchants to find NFT communities to partner with. Influencers/Content Creators are able to go on this site to find stores with the token-gated app installed to search for partnerships. New communities can upload their contracts in the database to seek for partnerships) - $2,000

End of 3rd month - $6,000, conditional on meeting all the requirements below:

a) Shopify approval of App
b) A tutorial on how to build a Shopify store and install the Conflux TokenGating App that is created.
c) A tutorial on how to build a Shopify app on Conflux E-Space and recap on how to get it approved
d) A tutorial on how to create your own NFTs on Conflux E-Space and mint NFTs that would be eligible for Token-Gating partnerships with ecommerce merchants
e) A operational Shopify store that has the TokenGating App installed using Conflux E-Space which demonstrates the entire value-add of tokengated commerce

@Geoff @nelaturuk @0xn1c0

Hi all,

Thanks again for your time in reviewing my grant application.

See below revised grant application. It is targeted for just the technical grant for an amount of $4,500.

TERMS OF USE

I have read and understand the CONFLUX ECOSYSTEM GRANTS OVERVIEW, and determined that my proposal is best for the Growth Grants stream

• YES

I understand that the Conflux Growth Grants are subject to a No Sale Rule, and I have read the terms of this rule

• YES

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Conflux Foundation to receive this grant

• YES

I understand that I will be required to follow public grant reporting requirements

• YES

APPLICATION INTRODUCTION

In this section, please provide a brief overview of your project providing the following information.

Name of your project: Shopify Tokengating App
Are you an incorporated startup? 11997947 Canada Corporation

Links to the project’s webpage, DApp, project social handles, and chat groups.

• We do not have any of that setup yet. We intend to set socials later once the App is accepted into Shopify ecosystem

What is your Conflux eSpace recipient wallet address for the grant?

• 0x8DabF51501196a7700c97616bD82791cF31Ac685

TEAM

Name:

Tony Lau

Roles and responsibilities

I plan to work on developing the App from the ground-up (full-stack). After approval on the Shopify App platform, I plan on growing the App installs with merchants and marketing the App to merchants.
Once there is sufficient velocity, I plan to add additional features that merchants can subscribe to so that the App can re-invest and develop even more cool features and ensure users always are gas-free

Team member’s social media handle(s)

Discord: intrepid5095
Twitter: @intrepid_crypto
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tony-kp-lau/

Relevant experience

• I am an active member of the Conflux Community, and I really like the blockchain. I am invested in growing Conflux and would continue investing into the App and growing the use cases and adoption even after this project grant
  • I completed the Conflux Developer Workshop in July 2023 and would like to leverage the skills learned towards building an App that can help merchants build customer loyalty and differentiated e-commerce experiences
  • I recently completed an intensive Software Engineering Bootcamp in Toronto at Brainstation. With the supportive network of alumni resources and classmates, I am confident that the result will be a polished product that can be approved by Shopify
  • I recently worked at Shopify in the finance department and I am comfortable with liasoning with the Shopify development teams in getting the app approved. I am registered to take additional blockchain software development courses in the evening at George Brown and continue investing in my skillset in Blockchain/Web Development.
  • I have operated an e-commerce store on the Shopify platform selling meat (from farm to door) and was a merchant myself. I am aware of merchant needs and what would be helpful for growing a business on e-commerce.
  • I have more than 10+ years in corporate development and finance experience. I completed a BBA, Master’s of Finance and a Master’s of Law. I am confident I can grow this business. I have conviction in the opportunities in building new products using blockchain and would like to use the conflux blockchain to improve e-commerce for merchants
  • Tony was recently on the winning team for zkSync Era’s hackathon hosted by ETH Toronto in August 2023. This involved modifying solidity files to create a Paymaster that would pay for gas fees based on email subscription.

OTHER TEAM MEMBERS

• To hire 2 developers to assist in the MVP of the project but I will be the lead developer and project lead

TOTAL BUDGET AND FUNDING TIER

In this section specify the budget needed for the project and your funding Tier.

Grant Tier: Tier 1

Grant Size: $4,500 USD

Justification:

I will be working full-time during the day on developing this App and I anticipate it will take our team 3 months to develop

I will hire at minimum two developers to help me with the MVP for this project

PROJECT INFORMATION

Overview:

Customer loyalty is extremely valuable. It can improve repeat orders, order conversion, increase average order value, etc. There are many forms of loyalty that exists today - from cashback, coupons, VIP membership, exclusive “company” cash, air miles, points for redemption, etc.

I believe there is a use case for the conflux blockchain and e-commerce. This app will look to cater to Shopify merchants. Shopify has over 2 million merchants selling on the platform. In 2022, Shopify processed $197.2 billion in GMV (“Gross Merchandise Volume”) which represents the total dollar value of orders facilitated through the Shopify platform.

The first use case we plan to implement is using NFTS that provide a unique experience for NFT holders. The first form of unique experience is:

• The App would allow NFT holders to get exclusive benefits on the merchant store. The exclusive benefits planned for the initial product will be in the form of discounts (%) and ($)

• The second is the ability for Merchants to grow their business by partnering with content creators (i.e. influencers, twitch users, etc.) and for NFT communities to find ecommerce merchants

User Base:

Currently no merchants have installed app. The App is not yet built

Market:

There are <20 NFT apps on the Shopify Developer store. The competing protocols are Polygon, Avalanche, Ethereum, etc. I believe there represents an opportunity to develop a NFT app using the Conflux network and capture adoption through gas sponsorship, and showcasing great use-cases between influencers/content-creators with e-commerce stores. E-commerce stores on Shopify are unlike large marketplaces like Amazon - they must acquire traffic natively to their website and the ability to do so through NFTs to generate orders will be seen as extremely valuable.

Technology:

I plan to use React, Conflux E-Space, Solidity, Javascript, Express/Node, and Ruby

Traction:

Currently in pre-revenue stage and just in planning stage.

Stage of the project:

Pre-revenue

Security: Please link to any code audits

None at the moment

ECOSYSTEM FIT

Benefit to Conflux Ecosystem:

As the App gains adoption as an e-commerce tool, Conflux blockchain will be the underlying technology used to mint NFTs and to facilitate commerce. There is a lot of commerce being done on Shopify platforms and Conflux would have market share on facilitating some of that commerce. Although in the beginning, we are using only the NFTs for recognizing who are the owners of the NFT for exclusive perks, I can see a lot of innovation that can come with working on an App that is tailored for smaller e-commerce businesses on Shopify platform. By first establishing a toe-hold and gaining trust with merchants, we can begin to introduce future products using blockchain technology on the Conflux Network

TECHNICAL GRANT PROPOSAL

ROADMAP

This section describes the milestones and distribution plan for your grant:

End of 1st month: $2,000

• Functional App Interface for Merchants. It contains the following: (1) App ability to install with a developer store, (2) A form that allows merchants to upload/delete contracts eligible for tokengating, (3) This form will specify which products and the discounts available to NFT holders ($ and %)

• Functional App Extension into Storefront for Merchants. It contains the following once the App is installed in the development store: (1) A product block that states what tokens are available for Tokengating. (2) A wallet connect to allow NFT user to prove they own the NFT, (3) On check-out page, the appropriate discount is applied

End of second month: $2,000

• A website that connects Conflux NFT communities with E-Commerce Merchants. It contains the following: (1) Showcasing a database of Conflux NFT Communities looking to partner with E-commerce Merchants with Conflux Tokengating App. (2) A database of ECommerce Merchants looking to partner with NFT Communities. For both, there is an ability for both NFT Communities and ECommerce Merchants to add themselves in the database and provide information about themselves. (3) A page for how new creators can mint tokens of their own and build a community to partner with ecommerce merchants

End of third month: $500

• A tutorial on how developers can build App on Shopify leveraging Conflux e-space
  • User documentation on how Merchants can set up a e-commerce store and collaborate with Conflux e-space NFTs

MAINTENANCE CONSIDERATIONS

The plan is to monetize the App by adding features above the token-gating features above. The added features subscribed by Merchants will allow the app to continue re-investing itself for more cool blockchain features and also ensuring that users always have a gas-free experience.

1 Like

I approve this grant. Look forward to working together @intrepid_cym!

2 Likes

@intrepid_cym I approve this grant too. With this second approval we can say the grant is approved. Contratulations! We’ll be reaching out to you for dicussing the next steps.

1 Like

Awesome!

Look forward to working together and building some cool stuff on Conflux ESpace.

2 Likes