CIP-104: Create a new EVM-compatible space with Ethereum state at specific block number

cip title author status type created
104 Create a new EVM-compatible space with Ethereum state at specific block number Ming Wu [email protected] Draft Spec Breaking 2022-08-14

Simple Summary

Create a new EVM-compatible space with Ethereum state at specific block number as the genesis state, e.g., the block just before Ethereum Merge(with POS) taking effect. This can be treated as an Ethereum POW hardfork chain.

Abstract

Create a new Space on Conflux to state-fork Ethereum.

Motivation

Ethereum Merge is coming and POW will be abandoned soon. This will largely affect the business environment of ETH miners. Currently, there are some efforts and communities being initiated to hardfork Ethereum with POW. However, the existing Ethereum technology stack is not advanced, and the Ethereum foundation and tech team will definitely not support the further development of those hardfork chains.

Our observation is that the fundamental of a fork is the replication of the ledger state rather than the consensus mechanism, so we innovatively propose a concept of state-fork for Ethereum.

Creating an Ethereum fork chain on Conflux has the following advantages:

1. Conflux’s virtual space mechanism allows creating a new EVM-compatible blockchain with Conflux consensus technology support.
  2. Conflux’s consensus is based on more advanced TreeGraph technology that significantly outperforms Ethereum without sacrificing decentralization.
  3. Conflux sticks to POW mining and tends to be friendly to ETH miners (see cip-102).
  4. Conflux foundation will continue to develop Conflux technology with new innovations.

Specification

TBA.

Rationale

TBA.

Backwards Compatibility

This change is spec breaking.

Test Cases

TBA.

Implementation

TBA.

Security Considerations

Copyright

Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.

9 Likes

:+1:

From 阿飞

支持 102+104 伍博士还是动了脑筋的 而且最优的方法就是复制式的状态硬分叉,并且把所有的币清空
nft清空 只空投一部分ceth conflux erh pow cethw 这样我用原来的evm私钥直接导入,进去就有cethw的糖果 并且所有基础设施都是从0开始的,aave 从0开始分发,comp makerdao都在
当然以后他们要退出是他们团队的决定,但是很多基础设施就天然存在了
简单总结

创建一个新的EVM兼容空间,以太坊状态在特定区块编号处作为创世纪状态,例如以太坊合并(POS)生效前的区块。这可以被视为以太坊POW硬分叉链

摘要

在Conflux上创建一个新空间,以创建以太坊。

动机

以太坊合并即将到来,战俘将很快被放弃。这将在很大程度上影响ETH矿业公司的经营环境。目前,有一些努力和社区正在与POW合作开发硬分叉以太坊。然而,现有以太坊技术堆栈并不先进,以太坊基金会和技术团队肯定不会支持这些硬分叉链的进一步开发。

我们的观察结果是,分叉的基础是分类账状态的复制,而不是共识机制,因此我们创新性地为以太坊提出了状态分叉的概念。

在Conflux上创建以太坊分叉链具有以下优点:

Conflux的虚拟空间机制允许使用Conflux共识技术支持创建新的EVM兼容区块链。

Conflux的共识是基于更先进的TreeGraph技术,该技术在不牺牲去中心化的情况下显著优于以太坊。

Conflux坚持POW采矿,并倾向于对ETH矿工友好(见cip-102)。

Conflux基金会将继续开发具有新创新的ConfluxTechnology

1 Like

genius! crazy!

inject more money to marketing. if agreed we must ensure conflux ethereum fork as main contender for ethereum pow fork!!

i have mixed feeling about this:

• what about core and espace, especially espace. if i m builder i will build on the new ethereum fork space. espace will retrieve lack of attention
  • high risk, if we dont push for more marketing, and not known to ethereum pow supporter, the space will be dead
  • super duper mega reward. imagine if most ethereum pow supporter choose this space as number one ethereum pow

but dont be afraid, take risk. we should be proud because we give added value. the only pow ethereum with tps >3000

i got another question: what is eth in this ethereum fork? does 1 eth = 1 cfx? if yes, currently there is 120m eth in circulation, does this mean suddenly 120m cfx will be minted when ethereum fork born? or foundation will compensate for this? this will be important point, and great value add for ethereum pow marketing. not only we offer 3000 tps but ensure the coin already have value from start

应该是状态全复制吧

I won’t pretend to know all the aspects involved in this, but it sounds like this gives the world an alternative to Post-merge Ethereum with essentially the same operating performance as Conflux eSpace. Those being fast execution and very low execution costs.

At first it sounds overly optimistic that it will ever be adopted.
That being said it could be huge in a 2049 sense.

I do think that post-merge Ethereum has high regulatory risk from U.S. regulators. This space could enable a monumental change when those regulators cripple the U.S. regulated entities that drive the activity that keeps ETH so popular. At that point, this space could be where decentralized entities and regular users rebuild.

1 Like

I would be great, but I have several questions:

1. how many slots will there be on the Conflux blockchain? Because right now we have 2, adding one more is confusing users even more, I think this would be very important to take into account.
  2. With this proposal the amount of CFX will be reduced to the amount of ETH (1ETH=1CFX) total mined until the Merge?

The most important thing about this is to clarify how the proposal would actually look like. So that the community can better give their opinion.

I think it look bad like CIP-102. The project is trying to lose its independence and become another stupid fork of the ether.
How many forks does ether have with a compatible EVM? More than a hundred! How many of them are at least somewhat known? Maybe 2-3.
Users supported the project because of its uniqueness, but someone wants to lose it.

And what will happen to coin holders? I have been holding the position since the start of mining! Just reduce my position running new emission? Or wipe your feet on the holders, as they did with PPI when the holder of positions worth tens of thousands of dollars (POS holders) received a PPI airdrop of 100 dollars? Or issue a new coin in a new environment and abandon the original space? You wrote “Backwards Compatibility - This change is spec breaking.”

I’m against

2 Likes

Do you want to attract users? Raise the price of the coin. It is down 95% from her peak. Involve market makers. Negotiate with early investors. Stop selling fund coins. A stable coin price will attract significantly more users than the next EVM compliant space.

1 Like

以太坊状态复制会增加节点多少存储空间?将自己变成以太坊模样,真的还能保持“矿工友好”吗?
我的知识水平不能理解好处是什么,我怀疑的坏处可能并不会发生,只是真心希望团队不是在画蛇添足。

The team of developers together with the communication team of conflux could do a live on youtube talking better about these proposals. Same model as the ethereum team lives. That would help get attention too.

2 Likes

1 Like

独乐乐不如众乐乐,反正转POS闹分㕚也是个娱乐事件,大家都来玩。挺好,蹭人家分叉的社区,到我们这个分支链上来玩儿,来的自己内卷着玩,总要个去处选择,cfx的core链卖点cfx过去当gas也不错。就当是个另类的棋牌博弈画面吧。。别太看好真当回事就是了。倒是基金会呀,还有啥的别太多的得利思维了。
这个cIP104就当个独立的空间尝试。不是大家很想做棋牌吗?我更直接地认为就当开个借题发挥的一个另类赌场。
另类赌场。鸡肋配酒,也能迷倒些人

If the new EVM compatible space will make the project stronger after Ethereum Merge, of course yes.

2 Likes

Would be interesting to see if the NFTs forked could participate in gaming/metaverse with all the benefits of Conflux, making it an L2 in a way.

3 Likes